As an Administrator or staff with front desk responsibilities, we provide a quick tool to help you to complete attendance records in bulk. The Attendance Administration function enables updates to be made for a single student on multiple days, or multiple students on a single day. A great way to log a absent student once you have received the medical certificate from the parents, or they may have special permission to be absent. Also in case of field trips or sudden school closure, administrators can set a whole class level in a few steps. Have a look at this video which shows an example of the feature.
Who can access this?
This functionality is purely for users who have full level access. It is not advisable for course and class educators, they should use the take attendance functionality. Administrators would need the permission to administer student attendance.
They can open the tool from the Attendance module header.
What are the options?
As explained the tool allows for single student updates across multiple days, or multiple student updates on a single day.
Note that we cannot allow for multiple students across multiple days. It is a system limitation.
Step 1- Choose the type either single or multiple
Step 2 - Use the search field and enter a students name, Passport/ID, or use the folder icon to find them within your school. For multiple students, the people picker will appear for you to be able to choose your target population.
Step 3 - Date range or single date. For single students you can enter a date range using the calendar. Click to open and then click on the date within the popup calendar. For multiple students there will be only one date field available. Then click Fetch.
Step 4 - Once you have the information you can filter it further with the advanced options. Choose to only show the periods that are set as roll call within your timetable. Equally if a student does not have a full schedule of courses you can further reduce the list.
Note that any appointments will be shown here for information purposes, however, attendance is not possible and the events will remain as is.
What is the multi update option?
You can set the absence status individually, which maybe the case if the student is only absent for half the day for example. However to update multiple records in one go click on the Multi Update option. A pop up will appear with the selected periods.
Choose a status to apply to all the periods, enter an appropriate comment. This comment will also appear on the Educators Take attendance screen as well, allowing users to communicate on the attendance for the students.
The lock status allows administrators to lock the Educator attendance screen to avoid them overriding any future attendances that may be affected by the update. Should you wish for the Educators to continue as normal, then simply select leave as is. Finish by clicking Update.
When locked the lines will turn grey, and the status and comment applied to all the periods selected.
Tips on attendance updates
- Check your attendance records periodically using attendance audit. Any missing days can be updated in bulk using the administrative updates tool.
- The roll call period selected in your timetable must still be classed as a 'lesson' within your timetable configuration for it to populate the update grid.
- You can take attendance against periods where no course is scheduled, however, this may not be reflected in all report types.
- There is a limit of 50 records possible when selecting multiple students.
- There is a default system limit of 255 days in the future or in the past when updating attendance records in bulk. Speak to your CSM if you wish to change this.
- If the student may come back before the end of their locked period, you can always unlock the days to allow Educators to enter an updated status if needed.