MySchool has implemented a solution for schools to offer a virtual learning environment for their students. The module allows for Teachers to create content, videos, forums and assignments. These can be shared with their course students via the MySchool portal.
This module needs to be mapped to your school instance, for the moment it is designed for Teacher/Students only, please contact our support desk for further information.
The course resource management page, will be accessible to course Teachers, and Administrators covering school level access.
It provides the following tool kit for online learning materials:
- Lesson planner - Give details about the lesson, attach external resources from the internet, files, or youtube videos.
- Forum - Open a forum where Teachers and students can communicate.
- Assignments - Reduced assignment create page, so that Teachers can create assignments directly from the resource page.
- Question - TBC
- Online video conferencing - We are in partnership with an online video conferincing provider, and will provide more details when available. Note this service may incur a charge.
Students will have a My Course widget/dashlet added to their portals. When new content is added a student can be notified via mail, and check their unread entries.
How to build the resources
First steps would be to create folders or Topics. Use the folder icon to create these for the course.
These folders can be individual lessons, or general topics to be covered over multiple sessions. Describe the goals and objectives for the lessons within.
Once a Topic has been created, start to enter content, these can be standalone tasks, or a lesson planner.
Open the icon and create content for the lesson.
1. Title - Use numbers to show as a list in the topic folder. Why not explain the lesson steps in the description to allow students to plan their learning.
2. Available from/Active date - Allows teachers to release content on set dates to ensure that the students are not overloaded and that content can be released periodically inline with the curriculum. Send them a notification informing them of the new content.
3. Description - Enter hyperlinks, tables, and images. encourage the users to follow the steps.
4. Add content - Add files, add youtube links or URL links to content.
Attach a forum to a topic to allow students and Teachers to exchange questions, provide discussion topics. reply to whole class or inline for 1-2-1 contact.
Note that the Teacher must initiate the conversation by clicking on the eye icon at the top of the page, and selecting the forum, and View.
Create assignments for specific topic or attach it to a lesson.
This has similar features to the new assignment module in MySchool 1.8. It does not have all the features, but assignments created here can be viewed in the assignment grade grid.
Video Online conferencing
We are working with a large LTI provider to have video lesson capabilities. This may have charges attached, but will connect via a third party provider. The Teachers would be able to share screens or film live via an appropriate webcam. We will keep you informed of how to attach this service to the VLE module.
Can we change the above functionalities for our school?
As you can appreciate we are trying to provide a solution for all our users, so would not be able to customise any of the above functionalities in the short term. We would be more than happy to collect your feedback for future versions.
Can we have a voice link?
You will be able to speak via the online video conferencing, but we do not have a voice only solution.
How do we know that students are completing the lessons?
When student open the content using view, they can also acknowledge that they have read the content.
On assignments they can Submit if you have allowed a submission on the assignment . If the student acknowledges and marks as read. The Teacher can check this on the Student tab with the Course resource module, and it will show a percentage of completion from the assigned content.
Can Guardians have access to this?
We are currently working on a guardian view for this dashlet. We will keep you informed within the next few days of what is available.