We can now offer integration with the Google classrooms suite. Google will pull information from MySchool to either create new courses and users, or synchronise with existing lists in Google. We can also synchronise with assignments created in Google classrooms, check out this article explaining how to go about this.
Important to note
Please note that MySchool data will override Google classroom data, but not the inverse.
Users within MySchool will need to have their gmail address as their primary email field.
If you select to create users from MySchool in Google classroom, then the initial synchronisation may take a few days.
The synchronisation will happen daily after the initial set up around 00h00
What can be synchronised?
- Academic year (current MySchool system year only)
- Course name
- Course status
- Owner (Please note we will a Google super admin account to be set as the owner for all Google courses)
- Student enrolment
- Course Teacher
What are the steps?
1. Navigate to https://console.cloud.google.com. We suggest that you create a new project for the integration. Find API's & Services, then search for 'Google classroom API' and enable it.
After find 'Credentials', and create a new 'Service account'. Do not enter any information into the fields. You will be required to create a key, and we must have this in JSON format.
Return to this newly created service account and turn on 'domain wide delegation'. Google will create an OAUTH2 client for us to use as part of the integration.
Take note of the client id created, as we need this for the next step.
2. Now log into https://admin.google.com.
Find security/Advance settings, and open Manage API client access. Here you will need to authorise a new client.
The name of the client will be the one created in Point 1 under he OAUTH2. Now lets add the scope for this new client:
If you authorise MySchool to create missing users in your google directory, then please add
3. Now we will need to impersonate a super user on Google. We need this to be able to complete the synchronisation. We suggest you create a new user called MySchool Sync or Sync.Bot for easy recognition. This suser needs to have the super admin role in in Google.
4. You must send us the JSON file containing the credentials, and the email address of the super user. This information can only be sent to our secure email box : firstname.lastname@example.org
We will confirm the integration, and map 3 new pages to Administer/Advanced options
A) LIS courses
This page will list the courses available in MySchool, and allow users to CREATE new courses and enrolment rosters in Google. Check the box, should sync school, then select the courses. This will only work if you have added the create API to the client access.
B) Google classroom existing courses
If you have courses created already in Google classrooms, and only wish to synchronise with MySchool rosters, then use this page to establish the link. These are presented as a non editable list. Choose the course to which the google entry should be mapped from the drop down list.
If you wish to manually start the synchronisation after completing all the above steps, then please contact our support, if it is within our operational hours, we can run a manual script to begin the initial synchronisation.