There are two types of profiles in MySchool, one for the students, and one for the users. Users are most commonly classed as Guardians, Donors or Staff members. Please read through this article explaining the different data fields available in a user profile.
The download template is attached to the bottom of this article. Please delete the dummy entries before your upload.
If a user is both a staff member and a guardian, they should only be entered once on this sheet. They require only one profile, and will be able to switch between staff and guardian views.
Please do not add siblings to the user list, these connections are made in the relationship step.
Do not change the column headings on the import sheet.
Import tips for guardians
- First name and surname is mandatory for users
- Staff users need a valid email address in the primary email filed for access to the portal.
- Guardian users can be imported with no email, but their profiles cannot be activated.
- Emails must be unique, and not shared across profiles. If the household wish to use one email address for contact then this can be created after import. Have a look at this article for creating households.
- You can fill out the address individually or for just one guardian user.
- Please respect the country list spellings. Check out an empty user profile for the exact nomenclature.
- When entering phone number, use one column for one type only. In the case of user contact details, we suggest using phone number 1 for cell, phone number 2 for work, 3 for landline.
- The external ID field is important for the relationship step. Add a unique reference number to make relationships easier.
- The employer details are not connected to the school employment fields. this can be used for guardian records as well.
After your import, you will notice that your staff listing will have members, but you cannot search for guardians. This is similar to the students, as they don't yet have a context in the system. It is important to understand how a user gains context for security and access in MySchool.
A user when set as a staff member inherits the permissions of the staff member user group. This is set to minimal access with limited functionality.
When a user is attached to a student via a relationship, they inherit the role of a guardian, and will be able to access the guardian profile if permissions are set.
If a user is attached to a class or a course then they inherit the role of Teacher, and have access rights set in accordance with their respective Teacher user group.
Other staff users gain access rights from ad hoc user groups (Admin/Nurses/Admission/Finance etc). You can add the users to these groups after onboarding.