For the third and fourth steps, we can now create classes and enrol the students we have imported previously. You must create the classes via the onboarding wizard in order to move through the steps.
If you are using the import tool for either a new intake or as part of the rollover, then you can follow the same steps as in the video. The templates attached to the article are the same.
The import templates are attached to the bottom of this article.
A class in MySchool is where we group students in a year or grade group. You can have one class per class level, or split these into smaller units. read through this article explaining the levels in MySchool, and classes.
Here is some tips on how to fill out your class creation template;
- The classes are created within a year. For this you will need to find the UUID (String value) from the year management page.
- For super users, then open the year management list in administer/Advanced options/Year management.
- Click on the year that you wish to create the classes in. Notice that a slide over will appear and the url will now have a UUID code
- This code should be used in the first column Academic year on the class creation template, simply copy from the URL bar into your excel.
- The class level needs to follow the naming convention in you school configuration panel. For example K1, K2, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 etc. Contact our support team for the UID to make things simpler.
- When creating classes the class level is used as the stem of class name, so you dont have to repeat it in the class name column. So in our example we have K1, then the class name is set to Nursery.
- The class name can be whatever you need it to be so that it replicates your internal naming convention.
- If you wish to have a space or a full stop then you need to set the excel column as text and enter the space as the first character or use the . to differentiate.
- To add a Teacher, then these must have a profile already within your MySchool system. They can be added manually which is just as quick after import. Use their exact name, first name or the MySchool User ID found on their profiles in the security tab.
Once the classes have been created, we can now start the enrolment step. The download template is attached at the bottom of the page. No academic year code is needed, as the system will use the class field and system year to determine which class the students should be enrolled into.
Our advice is to always use the unique codes instead of text names. The ID for the created classes can be found in the URL bar when you open them.
Use the external ID if you are following the onboarding wizard instead of the student name. This avoids confusion if you have two John Smiths in your student samples. If you using the import tool as part of you rollover then we really advise using the Myschool UID. You can extract these for your students using quick reports.
Import fields for class creation
|Academic year||UUID for year found in year management list|
|Class level||Name or UUID of class level|
|Class name||Free text|
|1st Teacher||User ID or Name, First name exact|
|2nd Teacher||User ID or Name, Frist name exact|
Import fields for class enrolment
|Academic year||Not needed|
|Student||MSM UID, External legacy ID, or Name, First Name|
|Class||MSM UID, External ID or name|
|Start date||Will be automatically created with Year start date. Otherwise DD/MM/YYYY|
|End date||Will be automatically created with Year start date. Otherwise DD/MM/YYYY|