With the ever-changing legal framework surrounding online privacy, MySchool fully understands the needs of our community to be able to manage consent for publication, and participation in certain subject areas (i.e Religious studies, Yearbook, Website etc).
MySchool facilitates collecting this information from guardians and storing it for reporting purposes.
Consent is used for general questions which are renewed yearly or given once during the user's scholastic lifecycle with your institute. Consents are collected using questionnaires, whereas permissions are used for individual events and have a separate dashlet for guardians to complete.
What are consents?
Main guardians can give consent to their dependent students. The replies are recorded on the student profile legal tab. Staff users can also have their consent replies recorded on their user profile on their employment tab. Administrators can create consents via Administer/Advanced options. The permission is attached to the super administrator role. Only guardian types classed as 'is direct' can reply on behalf of the student. Both guardians cannot give an individual consent reply to an individual student.
How to build consents?
Go to the management list view and select new consent, a slide-over will appear with the following details;
Consent type - This will be the title of the consent, you can ask a direct question or use a simple statement. Once consent has been recorded against the type, the box will show as grey and cannot be modified.
- Target - This can be either staff or students. If you wish to ask for the same consent from both targets then two individual consents are needed.
- Status - Choose active or archived. Consents cannot be deleted once an event has been recorded against them.
- Validity of consent - Consent can be asked on a yearly or once-entry (enrolment) basis. The history of previous answers are stored on the respective profiles. Yearly enrolment will be refreshed when the system year is changed as part of the rollover.
- Block parents' access - This feature will require the guardians to reply to the consent before they can access the full guardian portal. If you enable this then please ensure your community is informed beforehand.
- Per school level - If the validity of consent is set to enrolment, then selecting this field will refresh the consent of the guardian when the student is promoted to another school level.
- Description - Enter a full description for the consent. This will show when you have blocked parental access.
Setting up the questionnaire
Please check out all the features of the questionnaires they can be sent to main/direct guardians via their guardian portal. For new students, the student must be in the Not processed class, and the guardian portal must be activated for the parents.
Firstly add a section and select Confirm existing data as the section type. In the confirm drop down, you can select to ask for all the consents in one questionnaire or individually. You can add each as a separate section if you wish as well.
Super users can access our mass edit tool. Consents can be entered in bulk if you need to update your student records. You can select a maximum of 5 parameters, but you can update in bulk using the copy icon from the first student record if everyone has given consent for example.
Please sign in to leave a comment.