For this stage of onboarding, we will now look into attaching the imported guardians to your students. We do this by creating a contact relationship between their profiles. Also on this sheet we grant access rights to the guardian. For further information regarding relationships and families then please have a look at this article.
The template is attached to the bottom of this article.
The relationship template is created by adding a student, we advise to use the external ID as the key here. In the person column, you add the guardian ID. Their relationship is then validated by adding a relationship type. These are mandatory for the import.
If you are using the Import tool, then the steps are the same. If your imported students and guardians were new users, you would still use the external ID as a key to make it easier. Relationships with existing guardians (i.e. Guardians already exist and you are adding a new sibling to the family) should be done manually and not via import. You may not know the original legacy ID.
Tips for creating the relationship
- We advise using the external ID as a key, but this can be done with SURNAME, NAME. Be careful with common names to make sure you are creating the relationship with the correct guardian. Also note that there must be a space after the comma.
- Use the correct relationship type. To check the full list, then open an empty user profile, then in the contact tab, add a dependant. Use the drop down relationship types for the full list.
- Think about whether you need to create a profile for a one off emergency contact. The student profile has a contact comment box which can be used for this purpose.
- Siblings are not added as a relationship. Only add brothers/sisters if these are adult contacts external to your imported student list.
- The access rights can be set up after import using the mass edit tool. Understand that access(communication) gives the guardian the right to access the student profile. Main is to help reduce communication lists but the student can have multiple main guardians. It also gives access to certain functionalities (Questionnaires, Permission etc).
- There should be one invoice payer per student.
- If a guardian is noted as being a main guardian, but does not have communication rights then they will not be included in any communications. All main gardians should have access rights enabled.
Once the relationships are created, you can now find the guardians using the Quick search. They will appear as contacts in the student profile. You will need to send out invitations to the guardians for them them to start using the portal. Have a look at this article which explains how to send invitations in bulk.
Import fields for relationships
|Student||MSM UID, Legacy/External ID, or Name, Surname|
|User||MSM UID, Legacy/external ID or Name, Surname|
|Relationship type||Use name or ID from relationship type file attached|
|Is main guardian||Yes/No|
|Is communicable (permission/access)||Yes/No|
|Has pick up rights||Yes/No|